DIY Valentine’s Day Candy Wreath

If you hadn’t heard we had a blizzard hit New England and fortunately it all ended well here in New Hampshire. I was even able to tackle a project I had on my mind for sometime now. I had purchased the supplies for as soon as the valentine’s candy hit the stores, so I’m so happy I was able to finish it (right in time for Valentine’s Day).

Back when I was in college I was one of those students that took FULL advantage of every last event offered. One of my favorite offerings was Weekend Crafts with Linda Wooster (via QU Athletics). She offered the best DIY projects (cupcake decorating, card making, candy wreaths, etc). I may have been the first student to sign up for each of her events.  I’d like to dedicate this post to her!

So here is my first attempt at a short tutorial called DIY Valentine’s Day Candy Wreath.

 Supplies-first you will need to purchase the following supplies: 
– Candy ( 2 bags would be great, but remember I told you that I purchased the candy right when it hit the stores…. well as a result only 1.5 bags were left by the time I started this project).
–  Ribbon ( 5 feet recommended)
– Wreath – any shape. I looked for a heart shape, but I couldn’t find them this year. (straw- is the least expensive and the most effective( leave the plastic on so you don’t have a big mess).
– Florist greening pins ( you can find them at any stores that sell floral arrangement supplies).
– Scissors

 
2. Take your ribbon and wrap it around the wreath. Use the gardening pins to secure the ribbon. I like to fold the edges over to prevent any flaring showing after you remove the candy.

 3. Then you can begin attaching the candy you selected to the wreath. I suggest threading up to three pieces to one gardening pin.

4. Once you are done layering your candy go around the wreath one more time to make sure all the candy is attached and pins aren’t showing.

5. Its time to tie your bow…. I used a different color ribbon thinking that at the end when all the candy is gone I’d like to have some contrast on the wreath.

 6. I then decided to tie a loop on top to make hanging easier. I think this project took me no more then 20 minutes from start to finish. The bigger the wreath and the smaller the candy the longer the project.

I can’t wait to share this with my hubby on Valentine’s Day. I just hope he doesn’t read this between now and then : )

Wedding Fun Continues with my DIY Projects

As I mentioned in an earlier post this week is my wedding anniversary week so I am treating all my followers with an inside scoop to my wedding. Today I want to share a few projects I did on my own (there are so many to choose from so I have tried to select a variety).
Our Escort Card/Table numbers were individually displayed on scallop note cards and placed inside a personalized envelop for each guest.

I must have had at least 4 dozen waters for our Out of Town Bags, our vendors, and Bridal and Groom Suite. I designed the water labels in Photoshop, printed on waterproof paper and adhered with mini glue dots. I had a great Bridesmaid who helped assemble them.

The Programs were one of the most time consuming projects, but so worth the effort. The Programs were also designed in Photoshop and later printed on 6 x 15 ultra white card cover and then folded into three sections Cover, Ceremony, and Wedding Party. We then wrapped and tied the program together with a purple ribbon. We used a Bone Folder from Martha Stewart for scoring  the edges smooth.

The table numbers were so much fun to make. We used different size silver picture frames to display the table names. The table names were all words related to love such as Love, Cherish, Peach, Forever, etc. I printed the table numbers and then used jewel glue to adhere the luster glass microbeads in amethyst from Martha Stewart.

I made these Bride and Groom  signs for our chairs using a little bit of ribbon, scrapbook paper and glue.


Okay I may have forgotten how long these took, but these too were worth the effort. I went to my favorite designing software, Photoshop, to make the monogram and to design the overall invitation, direction, reception, and RSVP card. I made a belly band using soft plum paper and made the individual tags using a combination of pearl paper, labels in the size of 2″ circles, and a small gem for the end of the letter of G for a little added detail.

 

I purchased these white take out containers to use for our Candy Bar for the guests to fill up with their favorite treats. I wrapped each with plum colored ribbon and made the individual tags as I did for the invitations.

 

Other DIY projects included, signs for the Candy Bar, Menus for the table, Place Cards, Bathroom Signs for the Grab and Go Baskets, and I’m sure there are more I am missing. I had so much fun crafting each piece of this wedding!